Recent months have seen an increase in unsolicited calls from scammers calling people at home and raising a false alarm that they are at risk of their computer containing a virus or NBN issues. They claim that your computer has been hacked or infected with malware and it is threatening internet infrastructure.
How this scam works
You receive a phone call out of the blue claiming to be a representative of a large company such as Telstra or Microsoft. They may sound like the real deal, claiming to be a technical support officer from the company and using technical words to confuse you.
The caller will tell you that you need to take immediate action to avoid your internet connection being terminated due to the malware infection. They will tell you there is a small fee often around $10 to have the support officer look at your computer.
If you give remote access or give your personal details including login and passwords you may find a lot more transactions taking place than the initial $10. The possibility of losing all your savings is quite real.
- If you receive a call from someone claiming to be a representative of Telstra, NBN, ATO or any ther company claiming you have an issue with your computer – Hang Up.
- Never give an unsolicited caller remote access to your computer.
- Never give out personal, credit card or online account details.
- Make sure your computer is protected with up to date anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
- Remember you can still receive calls even if you are on the Australian Government’s Do Not Call Register or have a private number.
- Don’t be pressured by a threatening caller. Stop, think and check whether they are in fact legitimate.
For more information on common scams, go to https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/
Last updated: 19 May 2020
The information contained in this article is only correct at the point of time of publication. It is general information and has been prepared without taking into account your personal circumstances, objectives or needs. Please consider if this information is right for you before making a decision to acquire any product.